Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Are We Any Different?

I was searching the internet for some old funny animation strips. Thanks to Youtube,I found two of my old time favourites.One was about how not to drive.


Bruno Bozetto, the Italian cartoonist must have done this keeping in mind how driving's done in Italy. The first 60 seconds of the animation were enough for me to ask,"...as Indians, are we any different?"

The most striking part of the animation read something like this, "Show me how you drive, and I'll tell you what kind of an idiot you are!"

And there was another animation strip, which was titled "Italians vs Europeans".


If the first animation strip made me ask the question, the second one answered my question quite emphatically.

Italians are perceived to be different from the rest of Europe.While we Indians perceive ourselves to be different from the rest of the world though.

Practically every example in the animations hold good in the Indian context.Not following traffic rules,the highly imaginative queue system we follow, the scant respect we show to pedestrian safety, not respecting No Smoking boards, all are just examples that we are just Same same no Different.

All that I wanted to say, was very well animated in those strips, so I shall spare everyone the ignominy of going through hundreds of lines of pedestrian prose.

2 comments:

  1. Well, very interesting clips i must say...

    The social system in India is as chaotic as the Italian :-),... though we kinda feel proud in the saying "It happens only in India"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very stimulating observation :)

    The saying "we are all the same in thinking that we are different " comes to my mind
    --Divya

    ReplyDelete